Warm skin tones vs. cool skin tones vs. neutral skin tones. We see these descriptions everywhere in the beauty and fashion industry, but what do they actually mean?
Today we’re going to dive into that very question and help you decipher whether you have a warm or cool skin tone. Once you know this, you’ll be able to find the perfect shade of lipstick or eyeshadow with ease.
Are you ready? Let’s do this!
Do I Have A Warm Or Cool Skin Tone?
What does skin tone mean?
There are a few different ways to talk about skin tone. The first refers to the surface color of your skin, and this is often categorized into four different groups: fair, light, medium, or dark.
The other approach, often categorized as undertone, can feel a bit more mysterious.
What does undertone even mean anyway?
Undertone is the subtle hue that creates the unique tint of your skin. If you have a cool skin tone, your skin has more of a bluish-pink hue to it, while a warm undertone is more of a peachy-yellow.
Good so far?
Why is knowing your skin tone important?
Have you ever put on a particular shade of lipstick that makes you feel incredible? Your eyes shine, your skin glows, and you feel like a million bucks.
It’s awesome, isn’t it?
On the other hand, have you ever put on a shade of lipstick that washes you out, is unflattering, and makes you feel “meh?”
Chances are, that first lipstick was one that complimented your skin tone, while the latter did not.
Knowing your skin’s undertone helps you to choose colors that flatter your skin, in turn, making you both look and feel great.
So whether you’re searching for a new outfit or the perfect color of lipstick, knowing your undertone is the key to quickly finding that perfect shade.
Do I have a warm or cool undertone?
So you know what undertone means, now let’s figure out if you’re cool, warm, or neutral! Don’t worry, it’s super easy.
- Turn over your wrist and look at the veins in your arm. Are they bluish purple? Then you have cool undertones.
- Are they greenish yellow? Then you have warm undertones.
- Not sure? You may have neutral undertones; check the next method.
- Think about the outfit that makes you feel incredible.
- If that outfit is in the navy, black, white, or gray color family, you’re probably cool toned.
- If it is beige, cream, or brown, you’re probably warm-toned.
- Think about your jewelry. Do you have more silver or gold in your collection?
- Often, silver looks great on cool tones, while gold is vibrant on warm tones; we’re usually drawn to what looks best on our skin.
- Can you wear both? You may be a lucky neutral.
1. Your undertone is the subtle hue that tints your skin’s color. Most people have either cool undertones (blueish pink) or warm undertones (peachy yellow). Some lucky people are neutral.
2. When you know your skin’s undertone, you have a much easier time identifying clothing and makeup that makes you feel great.
3. There are three ways to check whether you’re warm, cool, or neutral toned:
- Wrist veins:
- Blueish purple=cool
- Greenish yellow=warm
- Clothing choice:
- Black, gray, navy, white=cool
- Beige, cream, brown=warm
There you have it, friends! Knowing whether you have a warm or cool skin tone is as simple as that 🙂 Are you looking for more great quick-and-easy beauty tips? Then be sure to join my facebook group, Effortless Beauty by Paula, here!
Are you a warm or cool skin tone? What is your favorite color to wear? What shade of lipstick makes you feel like a million bucks? Let me know below!